Live the excitement of a live rugby game on Newlands Rugby Stadium! Home to the DHL Stormers and DHL Western Province, it is the oldest rugby stadium in South Africa, the second oldest rugby stadium in the world and the 10th-largest stadium in South Africa by capacity (51,900 people).
I went last weekend to watch the Cape Town DHL Stromers play against the Auckland Blues and it was the first live rugby game I ever watched in my life. I loved the energy of the people at the stadium, the nice beer and boerewors hot dog I ate and the awesome time I spent with my friends.
Let me share with you a brief summary of the teams that use the stadium as their home base, the characteristics of the stadium, where can you buy your tickets and my experience at the game.
1. The Teams
b. The DHL Western Province WP
Western Province is a rugby union team that participates in the annual Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup tournaments.
Founded in 1883, the team has won multiple titles, a record of 34 Currie Cup titles including the inaugural competition, the Vodacom Cup, the Absa Nite Series, and the Lion Cup.
2. The Newlands Stadium
The Newlands Stadium, currently referred to as DHL Newlands for sponsorship reasons is a first-hand witness of countless legendary matches. Newlands is commonly referred to as the home of South African rugby. The first official matches played at Newlands were in 1890.
a. Rugby World Cup
The Rugby World Cup is a men’s rugby union tournament contested every four years between the top international teams.
In 1995 the stadium was one of the host venues for the Rugby World Cup held in South Africa. This venue changed the course of South African history when the Springboks defeated the Australian defenders at the opening game and went on to win the Championship uniting the country.
You can read more information about the Rugby World Cup here.
Monday to Friday you can schedule a tour between 9:00 to 15:00 hrs. (the tour lasts 45 minutes).
Enter the stadium through the players’ entrance; visit the changing rooms and the surgery; run out the tunnel; wander through the function room – sit on the stands and absorb the atmosphere of this awesome stadium.
- Adult: $52 ZAR = $ 4.5 USD
- Child: $40 ZAR = $ 3.4 USD
You can read more information about the Newlands Stadium tours here.
Newlands Rugby Stadium, 8 Boundry Road, Newlands, 7700 Cape Town.
Stadium Telephone: +27 (0) 21 659 4600
How to get there?
- By UBER / Taxify: from the city centre “Civic Centre” it will take you about 15 minutes to get to Newlands Rugby Stadium and will cost you around $ 85 ZAR = $ 7 USD. Also, consider that if there is a match the entrance will most probably be crowded so try to leave earlier to be on time.
- By bus: My Citi bus does not arrive to Newlands. From Civic Centre you can get the bus 102 to “Upper Roodebloem” station in around 20 minutes and then take an UBER or Taxify that will cost you around $ 52 ZAR = $ 4.4 USD and will take you to Newlands Rugby Stadium in about 8 minutes.
- By Train: from Civic Centre another option is to get to “Adderley” bus station walking (10 minutes) or by 102, 103, 105, 107 or 114 buses (3 minutes). Outside you will see the Train Station, from there take the “Southern Line” and get down on “Newlands” train station in about 18 minutes costing around $8 ZAR = $0.7 USD. Then walk around 6 minutes to get to the Newlands Rugby Stadium.
a. Where to buy them?
Tickets are available through Computicket and also from Shoprite/Checkers stores and the DHL Newlands Box Office during match weeks.
b. Which are the prices?
DHL Newlands 2018 ticket prices:
- Category 1: 160 ZAR = 14 USD
- Category 2: 130 ZAR = 11 USD
- Category 3: 110 ZAR = 9.3 USD
- Category 4: 100 ZAR = 8.4 USD
- Category 5: 50(standing) ZAR = 4.2 USD
4. The Game
a. First Half
Since the beginning the game was very exciting, not to mention rugby players have the best bodies :p, the game was interesting, and the crowd always got excited every time the DHL Stormers scored.
b. Half Time Show
I loved the half time show! During all the match you can see the cheerleaders supporting the team at a corner of the stadium but during the half-time, the band played their own versions of new songs while performing nice choreographies walking coordinately around the field.
c. Second Half
The DHL Stormers won which made it more special because all capetonians were cheering and the stadium had great vibes.
Are you interested in traveling around the world? In the Travel Section you can find detailed travel guides for different cities, touristic activities, recommendations, tips, and much more!
Did you like this post? Pin it! <3