There could be a great number of good restaurants in your country and in your city, but how can you go to the ones considered the best? Maybe some friends and family have recommended you some places or you have used Apps as Foursquare to find the ones with best ratings. But if you really want to become an expert, I recommend you to have a look at the list of the “World’s 50 Best Restaurants” and make one of your resolutions to visit the most you can.
Let me share with you the list of restaurants and which is the easiest and most affordable way to visit them.
1. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants
How are they chosen?
- Restaurants cannot apply to be on the list
- There is a poll of 1,040 independent experts
- Each expert will give 10 votes to restaurants where they have dined in the previous 18 months
- At least 4 of their choices must be outside of their geographical region
- There’s not a certain criteria, every restaurant in the world is elegible to be voted (it’s different from the Michelin Guide)
- The votes validity is granted by Deloitte
*The first list appeared in Restaurant magazine in 2002
Which are the best restaurants in the world?
Each year a new list of restaurants is launched, but the top restaurants have molecular gastronomy or serve haute cuisine.
Mostly elBulli (Spain) and Noma (Denmark) have fighted the first place from 2002 to 2014. In 2002 and 2006–2009, elBulli was determined to be the world’s best restaurant; but then in 2010-2012 and 2014 Noma received the first place. However, in 2013 and 2015 El Celler De Can Roca (Spain) took over the first position. Finally, in 2017 these were the first places:
- 1st Place: Eleven Madison Park (United States)
- 2nd Place: Osteria Francescana (Italy)
- 3rd Place: El Celler De Can Roca (Spain)
Which are the best restaurants in your country?
You can find the complete list in the official webpage TheWorlds50best.com, in the List section you will see that there are four lists you should consider:
- World’s 50 Best Restaurants
- World’s 50 Best Restaurants 51-100
- Asias’s 50 Best Restaurants
- Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants
When you access the webpage you will see that the restaurants are ordered starting from the best and a detailed description appears when you access to each one.
2. Scheduling your visits
a. Create your list
After accessing the webpage, I recommend you to write the list of the restaurants which are in your country and list of the ones which you could visit if you are going to travel abroad. For example, in my case these are the top restaurants in Mexico.
World´s 50 Best Restaurants 2016
- Quintonil (No. 12) – Polanco, Mexico City
- Pujol (No. 25) – Polanco, Mexico City
- Biko (No. 43) – Polanco, Mexico City
Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016
- Pujol (No. 5) – Polanco, Mexico City
- Quintonil (No. 6) – Polanco, Mexico City
- Biko (No. 10) – Polanco, Mexico City
- Sud 777 (No. 11) – Jardines del Pedregal, Mexico City
- Amaranta (No. 15) – Toluca
- Pangea (No. 19) – San Pedro Garza García, Monterrey
- Nicos (No. 37) – Clavería , Mexico City
- Corazón de Tierra (No. 39) – Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California
- Dulce Patria (No. 48) – Polanco, Mexico City
b. Location: check which ones are closer to you
After you have made the list of the restaurants in your country, login to their webpages and find their location. Then create a map in Goggle Maps where you save the locations. In that way you will be able to visualize which ones are closer to you and therefore easier to visit.
c. Price: search for the range of prices of the restaurants and make a budget
You may be able to find the prices on the restaurants’ webpages but if you can’t just call them and ask which are their ranges. Although the majority of the restaurants serve haute cuisine you can find a wide range of prices and in some of them you can order al carte so you can play with the prices while in others there’s a set menu.
d. Reviews: make your final decision based on reviews
After you have made the list of the restaurants, located them, and checked the range of prices you can decide which ones are you gonna visit first based in the reviews from other people. In this step you can use the Foursquare App to get more information.
3. Enjoying the experience
Finally, enjoy your experience spending a great time with your friends and family while eating delicious food. Leave a comment below to help us decide if we should go to a particular restaurant.