Sandy Bay is a nudist beach in Cape Town, it’s very pretty and secluded from everything. You will feel comfortable to take your clothes off because there is almost no people there and you can also leave your clothes on if you are shy.
Located at the end of a residential area, you will have to take a nice scenic walk along breathtaking nature to arrive to this tropical spot, which is very calm and peaceful.
You can find great privacy on this beach, this was my first time in a nudist beach an it didn’t fell awkward at all, perfect for beginners, it is definitely a must see!
1. The beach
The beach consists of two main areas:
The first area consists on an open beach, which has breathtaking views to the Atlantic Ocean. It is surrounded by wonderful greenery and dunes.
Also, there is another area with big boulders, which provide extra privacy and shadow making it an excellent spot to relax and cool down. Besides that, the boulders provide protection against the wind, which can sometimes be strong at that beach.
2. Sandy Bay: Location
a. Where is it located?
Sandy Bay is located along the famous road from Cape Town to Cape point. It is near Llandudno Beach and you can walk from one beach to another.
b. How to get there?
Sandy Bay is a bit more inaccessible to ensure good privacy. There are two ways to get to the beach:
- From Llandudno: you can climb over the rocks from the car park at the southern end of Llandudno, or
- From Sandy Bay parking lot: it takes about 20 minutes to walk from the car park park at the northern end of Hout Bay. Parking the car here can be difficult as car parks are insufficient.
Two ways of transportation:
- By car: you can take an UBER / Taxify and get to Llandudno or the parking lot in around 30 minutes from Cape Town’s city center. This will cost you around $140 ZAR = $12 USD.
- By bus: you can take the 109 or 108 MiCity bus to Helgarda stop. That will take around 45 minutes and then you’ll have to walk another 30 minutes approximately.
To get to the beach you’ll have to go on a 20-minute hike. The beach is however very beautiful so it is definitely worth the hike.
- First, you will arrive at the car park, which is near a residential area.
- Then you will have to take the pavement road up the hill, which will end up in a sandy region.
- At the top of the hill you will veer off to the left and you will take the sandy path.
- Then you will hike down to the beach. It is very easy to follow the road as you can see the beach as you head down. The views are breathtaking and the hike is a nice walk. It only takes about 15 min.
Swimming at the beach is difficult as the Atlantic Ocean water is cold, but there are a lot of other things to do at the beach such as:
Sandy Bay is perfect for nude bathing as it is a very secluded beach which offers a lot of privacy. Make sure to bring an umbrella (there are no umbrellas for rental) or enough sunblock.
Also, it can get very windy in the main beach, but you can walk to the boulders area and find shelter among the rocks.
Make a picnic
There are no restaurants or shops nearby so make sure to bring enough water and food.
Take a walk
There are a lot of nice trails to walk on with breathtaking views. You can also walk the trail to Llandudno Beach.
Bring your dogs
Dogs are allowed at the beach, you can bring your cute friends to have a walk in the beach and play with them.
Watch the sunset
A definite must! The views are wonderful and the peace and quiet makes it perfect for a romantic date.
- Bring toilet paper: There are no public toilets at the beach!
- Bring a Garbage bag: There are no bins at the beach, so to ensure a clean beach it is necessary to bring your own garbage bags.
- Bring hiking shoes: The road to the beach is sandy and sometimes you will find a lot of small rocks on the way. Hiking boots or just tennis shoes can be very helpful (I was wearing sandals and it was very difficult to walk with all the small rocks hurting my feet, sometimes I walked barefoot but it was also difficult).
- Be safe: The area is a bit inaccessible and secluded. Make sure to go with several people and during peak hours.
Interested in finding opportunities to go abroad? In the Scholarships Finder you can find a wide list of scholarships, work opportunities, volunteer projects, contests, entrepreneurial support, and virtual courses!
Did you like this post? Pin it! <3